Monday, November 15, 2010

Magic Mud - A Sensory Experience for All Ages!

What you see here is more than just muck - it is the most mesmerizing bit of goop your kiddos and you will ever get your hands on, in, and through!  It's Magic Mud - a common bit of sensory science that is accessible to preschoolers on up (way up - I dig this stuff too)! 
 
The intriguing aspect of Magic Mud is that it acts as a liquid and a solid at the same time.  It is hard when picked up or hit, but acts like a liquid when poured slowly through your fingers.  You can find the full recipe and the science behind Magic Mud here . We double it for an extra messy experience! 
A plop of food coloring was all it took to bring it up to the next level.  This was the first of many requests for different colors.  You can order food coloring or gelova barva in CR here. Their food coloring gel is supposed to last a long time and has great color.
Sensory love...
One of the little guys was not about messiness at all - requesting we clean his chair of the dusty particles of cornstarch before we added the water.  I think the Magic Mud broke him!  He was into it, as you can see!
My daughter's request for pink and purple.  Minus the flash, it's not a bad little composition!
A good time was had by our group of little scientists and mums alike! I bring this project around every  4 - 5 months or so, and it's always a crowd pleaser.  Next time, I'm thinking I'll also put some glitter into the mix for even more sensory fun with Glittery Goop!

3 comments:

  1. I made this stuff with my kids a few times. We added food coloring too. We called it Oobleck because of the Dr. Suess book with something that sounds a lot like magic mud falling from the sky.

    I had to laugh about the boy who was not about messiness. My 7 year old son is the same way. He had a blast with this concoction too.

    Have you heard of magic milk? It's not as much hands on, but it's very cool. There are directions and videos online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just looked up the magic milk and like it very much indeed!!!! May not be hands on as much - but who can resist swirling milk really?!!! I must read that book the next time around too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to do this with my littlest one for some time -- can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete